I run the risk of the over-use of the word digital which seems to be the topic of much research and marketing spin, and yet is prevalent in the strategy of most organisations. Whether this is digital transformation or digital disruption, technology is affecting most industries on a scale never seen before.
Change is big. At Holocentric, we aim to help you undertake change more effectively and at lower risk. 2018 will see the introduction to a new range of solutions that move further into the operating space, commencing with the implementation of change initiatives. We are accustomed to understanding complexity and will continue to offer solutions that aim to reduce complexity and deal with the many details that change initiatives entail.
We will commence at the top, capturing the strategic intent of an organization and relating this to change initiatives. We need to address the reasons that change initiatives are often unsuccessful. Whether these are systems implementations, organisational re-structures, competition or changed regulations, there are many common elements to change. How these details are managed often determines the likelihood of success. The details include the people, their roles, processes, systems and compliance obligations.
Gartner have introduced the concept of a Digital Twin of an Organization (DTO). According to Gartner, this is “a dynamic software model of any organization that relies on operational and/or other data to understand how an organization operationalizes its business model, connects with its current state, responds to changes, deploys resources and delivers expected customer value.”
A Business Operating System (BOS) is one of the possible implementations of the design pattern represented by a DTO (see the Gartner research paper "How a Business Operating System Can Guide CIOs to Digital Business Success”). Holocentric has been providing Business Management Systems solutions for some years and these cover a very broad range of needs from strategy through to execution. 2018 will see the extension of this capability and an alignment with the Gartner concept of a DTO.
We will soon release further details of solutions that will help answer question such as:
- How do we manage the details of change initiatives so that there is a holistic approach to implementing change?
- How can we handle the multiple change initiatives that are being implemented concurrently
- What is the picture of the future that will guide us through the change initiative?
- While the change is being implemented, how can we deal with external factors that will introduce further complexity and potentially change the expected outcomes?
- Should we curtail a certain initiative or accelerate it?
- How do we schedule multiple initiatives so that they will add to the expected benefits rather than conflict with each other?
This promises to be a very exciting year and we will be delighted to demonstrate our new solutions as they take shape during 2018.